This 1827/1845 pattern Infantry Officer’s levee sword is engraved with the designation “1 LRV” for the First Brigade London Rifle Volunteers. The Brigade was raised in December 1859. Under the Childers Reforms of 1881, the brigade became part of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps.
The 875mm single edged blade has a rounded spine and a slight curve. A single fuller runs just over two-thirds of its length on both sides and the blade terminates in a double-edged spear point.
The blade is in excellent condition and crisply etched with the Rifle’s strung horn, Queen Victoria’s Royal cypher, The Rifle brigade designation and the initials of the owner. The ricasso bears the cutler’s name, “Hobson & Sons, Little Windmill Street, London.” Hobson & Sons traded from this address from 1878 until 1886, allowing the sword to be dated to between 1878 and 1881 – the date of the Childers Reforms. The obverse ricasso bears a proof disk for the Pillin family of blade smiths. Pillin later became part of the Wilkinson Sword Company.
The Gothic brass three bar guard is of the 1845 pattern and is in excellent condition. The guard bears the oval Royal cypher above the Flowers of the Union – the rose, thistle and shamrock. The shagreen grip is in very good condition with minor service wear and the twisted wire is intact and tight.
The sword is complete with its steel scabbard with two suspension rings. The scabbard is undented and undamaged with a good age patina. The sword is held firmly within the scabbard and sheaths and draws well.
This is a beautiful, high quality example of a Victorian Officer’s levee sword.